Kamenice nad Lipou lies in the Pelhřimov District in the north-western part of the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands, some twenty kilometres to the north of Jindřichův Hradec.
The chateau’s current neoclassical appearance dates from the early 19th century. In 1580–1583 the original 13th-century castle was converted into a Renaissance mansion graced by a courtyard with arcades and a garden. The Baroque entrance tower was built in 1744. The chateau is surrounded by an English landscape garden with a linden tree estimated to be 700–800 years old that gives Kamenice nad Lipou its name (“lípa” being the Czech word for linden tree). In 1998 the chateau came under the administration of the Museum of Decorative Arts, and after extensive restoration work between 1998 and 2004 the Museum installed permanent collections on the ground floor of the Renaissance north wing, where the Museum also holds short-term exhibitions. The south wing of the chateau houses the Ceremonial Hall and exhibitions by the Municipal Museum. The cellars with their Gothic Hall are also open to visitors.
Wrought ironwork: grilles, chests, keys, locks, knockers and other ornamental and architectural metalwork dating from the Gothic period to the early 20th century.
Late 19th- and 20th-century children’s toys (from František Kyncl’s collection).
The Study Collection of 19th- and 20th-Century Furniture: the evolution of furniture design in the Czech Lands and other countries in Europe.
A Museum for the Senses: an exhibition by the Municipal Museum that documents the 750-year history of the town of Kamenice nad Lipou in a novel and entertaining way.